Friday, July 24, 2015

Home, for now

For the first time in my near 7 years of living in Finland I feel like it makes sense, in this stage of life, to stay and "settle"  here. Not only that it makes sense, but that it is good.

We have sometimes spoken of moving abroad.

Switzerland. 
France. 
England. 
Scotland.

I have always been envious of people "going back home", after a stint in Finland. And to be honest, I long (and will always long) for those Swiss mountains and that lift and perspective they offer. I miss that proximity to the rest of Europe and that more "southern" way of living... I miss my family and long-standing friendships!

But, I have also come to realise, with a quiet and humble confidence, that we have it so good here in Finland, too. There aren't any mountains (at least not in the South), but it's not hard to stumble upon God's good nature pretty much anywhere you live (with lakes and the wild sea thrown into the package). The architecture can be lacking in town planning, but there's quite a few beautiful cities and towns spotted around the country, and Helsinki itself is hard to beat.

We would not have this lifestyle anywhere else. I get to be at home with my three little ones and spend every day of these precious new beginnings with them. I could be in the location my heart beats for, but have a very different looking life. And I'm not sure that's something worth compromising. Speaking of the kids, they're growing up to be trilingual. What an asset! and a gift, to be able to cultivate thought and speech in three different cultural spheres and languages. 

We could live in a place where I feel more culturally comfortable (linguistically speaking especially), but Finland (though of course has its share of problems!) is really miles behind other places we could move to. It has a sort of innocence and wholesomeness about it still; in many ways it is a good place to bring up a family. And I want to make sure I enjoy the here and the now, and am not constantly projecting myself into a different space. Moving countries can always happen at a later date, but home is here now. And it is good.


The beauty of all this, I think, lies in the timing of this peace. In the upheaval and exhaustion of having to up and go, and make a new house our home at the start of September, there is this quiet constant pulse-like beat, reminding me that God is in this, too. That right now, though emotions (and temper) are a little all over the place in counting the cost of having to move, this is a good place to be, a place to be thankful for. In the rough, there is still reason to praise God.



My ears are currently seduced by: Brandon Heath - Behold Our God

1 Comments:

Anonymous Me again said...

Sometimes the "not the very best" place will teach us truths like that - that is exactly what became clear to me one day sitting on this empty and lonely play yard in the country side - this is my life right now and I have to stop living in the future - otherwise my life will just pass without me enjoying it. And now living in our lovely Helsinki I tend to forget it every now and then...

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home