Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Spy Power For Peanuts

I was originally going to write about my 'gig' at the Canterbury Tales last Saturday BUT sadly enough the pictures of myself playing won't upload - so I will have to postpone my vain and conceited moment until I figure out how to get those pictures to work, and ramble on about something else instead... :)

Today's been a good day. The listening-to-Jimmy-Eat-World-kind-of-mood day. The first amazing thing about today is that I took books out of the library - something I NEVER do. Sorry, that's a lie. I did once, in my first year. You see I was nailed in bed during fresher's week , so never had a chance to make friends the "regular way". Ah, the curse of freshers flu...it made me miss out on all those clubbing "how dirty can you get" events down at the Venue too, what a shame. On Registration Day I had to pull myself out of bed (no pun intended) and happened to meet, among all the other people throwing themselves at my feet desperately wanting to meet me, a memorable girl who was definitely on top of everything, with it and up-to-date when it came to her studies. Which, by the way, was rather intimidating, and ever more so for the drowsy state I was in. We happened to have one common module for which she was, naturally, very organised and knowledgeable. Having picked up on my general lack of awareness as to what was going on, she thought it was about time to exterminate any crucial course-related defficiency within me. It was upon hearing that I hadn't already gone to get every single book from every single reading list for every single one of my modules that she rushed me to the library and showed me the way to Enlightenment. It all reposed on a Virginia Woolf book which, after being ruthlessly kidnapped from the shelf, lay on the side of my bed; neglected. Considering its superb purpose in decorating my room, I returned it to its place of origin a few days later. Now maybe that's where my phobia for going on a book hunt in the library originates from. Having been prematurely and forcefully thrown in there, the idea of having to find books haunts me. But today my friends, today is a day of grand revival and celebration. I looked up the reference for the books, found my way to the right level of the library and found them right away, as if led by some mysterious force - Virgina Woolf's ghost perhaps? Ladies and gentlemen, the times they are a-changin'; good old Bob was spot on.


Secondly, I bought the greatest birthday present anyone could ever wish for - and it only cost me *drum roll* £1.25! Bargain. It goes by the name of "SpyEar" and it is the "new millenium design for anyone who wants to be a spy!". Now who in their right mind would not be won over by such a mind blowing gadget? It is the best, I promise you. It even comes with TWO extra batteries for "even more Spy Power!". I sure hope you'll get yourself down town and get your hands on one of these secret sound amplifiers. Alternatively, let me know when your birthday is. "You can investigate 24 hours a day, at any place. Even the bad guys will not be able to keep secrets from you if you use your SpyEar." Come on, let your inner spy be all ears - it's now or never, or at least until the stocks run dry.

As I walked from one place to another, I repeatedly saw things that made me smile. Everywhere I went shouted out memories of good times I'd had with people, I was reminded of things I'd laughed about with friends, I saw things that carried me back to that moment when... And I love the simple fact that smiles are contagious.

When I got home a 'pre-goodbye' letter with an enclosed picture of a beauteous sunset was waiting for me. The letter brought many more smiles enlaced with thankful tears. Each word came out of a heart that is obeying His calling, and spoke of His faithfulness throughout times of uncertainty and doubt. God gives and takes away, and though saying goodbye is something I'm still not comfortable with, I am so thankful for the beautiful blessing of a season by the side of my precious friend - I'm hoping there'll be more of those times in the years to come :)

All in all, today was a jolly good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home