Sunday, February 27, 2005

Damage Done

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honour one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody ... Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:9-18, 21

How short can I fall from loving? How heartless can I be? I can be so ugly. So ill-spirited. A glance in the mirror and it makes me want to become a hermit, stay away from people. Put an end to hurting the people I care for. Today I'm reminded of my flawed humanity. I've still got a long way to go, I'm still tripping, still falling. My feet still shift in a clumsy way. I walk with dust in my eyes from the dirt I've kicked up. Faced with my total inadequacy to love as I should, it's a profound mystery that God still does love me. His ways are definitely higher than mine. And His grace is sufficient.


Yesterday, once again
I fell down and broke a friend.
Words were said, out of place
I hope that it's not too late
To right this wrong
Cause I was wrong.

I struck the match
I burned the bridge
I'm to blame for all of it
I lost your trust
When I drew my sword
This distance is my just reward.
Can I undo the damage done?

Couldn't sleep, part of me
Was crying out from hurting you
So afraid you would say
There is nothing I can do
To right this wrong
I was wrong.

Listen friend, I must confess
You deserved more,
I gave you less.
It tears me up
That I let you down
I'm sorry.


- Shaun Groves -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home