Saturday, March 19, 2005

I'm Hooked

"General practice has altered a great deal over the years; like everything else it is still changing. So are patterns of disease. But some things have never changed. Hilaire Belloc wrote:

'From quiet homes and first begining,
Out to the undiscovered ends,
There's nothing worth the wear of winning,
But laughter and the love of friends.'

Since family doctors often follow their patients' lives from first begining to undiscovered ends, many of us will agree with Belloc. Friendship is a treasure that cannot be bought, and laughter, I am convinced, can sometimes cure. Despite all our advances in scientific knowledge and technology, the basic needs of the human spirit remain."

Unexpected pearls of wisdom.

I decided to take my sister out to the Canterbury Tales pub and to take a chance on the band "hook" who was playing there tonight (well, technically speaking, last night, but we haven't gone to bed yet, so it's not really Saturday, according to us). I grabbed one of the books off the shelf and opened it right at that page, "One Man's Medicine", by Morris Gibson. It was so good I had to write it down on a stolen leaflet advertising Samphire Hoe, "an amazing place, made from the material dug to create the Channel Tunnel".

The local Canterbury band, "hook", was actually amazing! Good gamble. And guess what? I broke my lent, by buying their cd. It's sealed, not with a kiss, but with pretty cellophane so it will be played only after lent is over. I got home and wanted to write music; it was that kind of band. Hopefully the cd does them justice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home